Reflections on the Equinox: The Rebirth of Momentum

Two years ago I bought a lovely set of wood scales for my altar space. I'd conceived an idea for an Equinox ritual where I would sit in my Circle, with an odd pile of river stones in my lap, and place them one by one on the scales until both sides were in perfect balance. It would take time and trial, but only when the scales were exactly level would the ritual end.

I've done this spell several times, and only this week I realized why it's never - ever - worked.




In my earliest readings on the Craft, there was always emphasis on the balance between light and dark during the Equinox, literally the equal hours of night and day. Almost in the same way that we incorporate banishing magicks during the waning moon or success spells on Sundays, I placed a lot of importance on that correspondence. I thought by harnessing that beautiful split between two extremes - through the act of adjusting the scales, in my sacred space, on the day of the Equinox - I would invite much-needed balance into my life, and at a time of year where I routinely feel wobbly. Reality conforming to the will... right?

Wrong. I was way off. It's too imprecise to be so technical.


Last year, a fellow witch told me that while we might think of life as a scale that we must keep perfectly poised, it's really more like a pendulum, swaying heavily through our cycles. This would make balance totally impossible. To be perfectly center would kill the momentum; to kill the momentum would stomp out all the excitement.

And really, the Equinoxes are the most momentous times of the year! In the spring, life is accelerating, flowers are blooming... our time of stillness is drawing to a close. In autumn, the leaves explode into color, birds begin migration, and the urgency for food reserves lights a fire under our asses. We're never in balance for the Equinoxes! In this transitional period, my life is anything but stable. I know I'm not alone there.

The true essence of the Equinox is that there is this one perfect, immeasurable nanosecond in time, twice a year, where day and light are exactly the same. And then, just as quickly, the moment is gone.

Just how the pendulum, when it reaches its lowest center point, immediately swings away.

Momentum.



The lesson I failed to learn in my original ritual was that to achieve that kind of equilibrium took work. And there I was, trying to instantly jam it into my life with one magickal act! If only I'd stopped to realize that there was no time for rest in a process so painstaking ... that life doesn't need perfect balance more than it requires you to address your fucking needs.


I admit that I've gazed upon wildly productive multi-tasker types in awe. But the truth is that those lifestyles are rare for a reason, and that may be why we're so fascinated by them. To the average human, juggling that much crap usually ends in intense fatigue. Honoring your needs means knowing that you can tackle one task at a time and give yourself space to breathe in between.




Ever since my witch friend shared that pendulum metaphor, I haven't looked at my scales the same way. I have no plans to throw them out, but their purpose will be different when I do my ritual this evening. One thing is certain: no attempts will be made to surgically implant balance into my life. I'm done with that method. A real way to honor this solar phenomenon would be by cherishing the rarity of it and celebrating the fact that the sun is on the return. Spring is coming! I can practically smell the blossoms already.

I leave you with a song to encapsulate the thoughts I've had today. I love Zero 7, and this track has a languid air to it, like surrender to the pendulum's course.

Swing on, dreamers, and Happy Equinox!

With love,







"Swing"

Thought you’d be forever the same
When did you become so easy to change?
Can’t like who I won’t
No, that’s not true
I do know
Just can’t figure out how to pin down
There will be no unguarded kisses,
let go of my hand when they’re around
They say I’m unsound
But what do they know?
They can’t figure out how to get down
Soon enough I won’t care
stay in my arms, if you dare
You can’t romanticize
They are crazy
Will only let you down
Try to figure out how to keep you down
They’re all alone
I will keep you down

Comments

Popular Posts